Marketing and Communications AssistantCompany: Walkway Over the Hudson
Date Posted: November 17, 2017
Position: Marketing and Communications Assistant Reports To: Director of Development or Executive Director FLSA Status: Exempt
Walkway Over the Hudson, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group, works to support and improve Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park by raising funds to improve amenities and provide long-term stewardship to the park. Our critical mission depends upon engaged members, volunteers and donors who share our vision for the park. http://www.walkway.org
The Marketing and Communications Assistant is a marketing strategy position focused on developing digital and print campaigns. This position is responsible for research, recommendation and implementation of a variety of approaches to promote Walkway visibility and success. The Marketing and Communications Assistant creates collateral material for Walkway events, fundraising, community outreach and public relations. This position supports the fulfillment of corporate and event sponsor benefits. He/she works collaboratively with internal managers along with an outside public relations firm, media and production consultants.
The Marketing and Communications Assistant is responsible for growing our following of over 60,000 social media users and ensuring the Walkway social media presence is coordinated, appropriately reflecting the Walkway brand and key messaging. He/she works with marketing interns including developing project scope and training. In addition, this position identifies tracking and measuring tools to analyze brand presence and performance. He/she updates and maintains the Walkway website (www.walkway.org). This position manages the Greater Walkway Experience marketing and branding campaign and is responsible for creatively expanding Walkway’s outreach to target audiences such as New York City residents, recreational park users, history buffs, international visitors, youth and seniors.
This position serves as the liaison and principal staff support for the Marketing and Communications Committee. As such, he/she develops and maintains effective relationships with Committee Members that will bring forth their best ideas and efforts.
This position performs other duties and participates in projects as assigned by the Executive Director to achieve the strategic goals of the Walkway.
Priorities & Responsibilities
- Design and produce the organization’s digital and print materials in a cost-effective manner, including Walkway’s digital and print newsletters, brochures, and other collateral. Prepare documents and digital files for printing i.e. checking graphics files for correct formats; working with color separations; and preparing proofs. Assist with setting print production schedules; participate in negotiations with and selecting vendors.
- Create layouts and designs for advertising, marketing collateral, signage and other published materials in print and online. Select and arrange photos, type, illustrations and color.
- Assist with creating presentations to community partners and donors.
- Oversee outreach for the Greater Walkway Experience marketing and branding campaigns
- Provide social media strategic direction and coordination; increase engagement with social media users; build following on social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, etc.; create and manage social media calendar.
- Monitor Walkway news and mentions in print media, radio and television to respond as appropriate.
- Regularly update and maintain the Walkway website.
- Respond to or route daily communications received via web inquiries and social media platforms.
- Administer the Walkway Facebook page to publicize Walkway events and create revenue opportunities.
- Maintain print and digital media distribution lists.
- Identify online calendar posting opportunities and create user-friendly procedures for posting and signing up for Walkway events.
- Assist with planning, promotion and execution of special events.
- Maintain relationships with media partners and develop creative ways to increase Walkway press coverage; be the on-site Walkway media contact for events as needed
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor degree and three years’ marketing experience.
- Expert digital and social strategist
- Skilled in graphic design; proficient in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Self-confident person who engenders confidence and trust in those around them.
- Highly collegial; equally comfortable as a team leader or team member.
- Action-oriented, with the ability to build momentum around ideas and initiatives.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically about the big picture, while remaining focused on the detail-oriented work.
- Comfort assuming a share of event functions that require all hands on deck.
- Ability to shift back and forth efficiently between two or more activities or sources of information. Being open to different and new ways of doing things; willing to modify one’s preferred way of doing things. Performing effectively in varying environments with different people.
- Indoor workspace: typical office setting.
- Telephone: must be able to be on the phone multiple times throughout the day.
- Will be in contact with others via face to face, email and telephone.
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Will require walking up and down stairs frequently.
- Ability to work outdoors.
- Willingness to work weekends and weeknights as needed.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, promotional writing sample and portfolio demonstrating marketing skills to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Walkway Over the Hudson is committed to equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetics or any other characteristic protected by law.