Development Communications ManagerCompany: Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc.
Date Posted: January 13, 2017
Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc.
Job Title: Development Communications Manager
Reports to: Associate Director, Development
In this newly created position, the Development Communications Manager will oversee, produce, and coordinate the communications that support the fundraising work of the Development Department and the Omega Campaign.
The Communications Manager will collaborate with colleagues in External Affairs, as well as Media Design, and Marketing, to co-develop and leverage content and to ensure consistency of messaging throughout Development and Membership communications.
The Communications Manager will help to develop a fundraising voice for Omega and the Campaign through a variety of written vehicles including proposals, stewardship reports, appeal letters, acknowledgement letters, website copy, donor profiles, fundraising case statements, and all other Development Department writing needs.
This position supports the fundraising activities of the Omega Board, the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief External Affairs Officer, and the Development Department.
For over thirty years, Omega Institute, a nonprofit organization, has been dedicated to awakening the best in the human spirit through diverse and innovative educational experiences. This mission guides Omega in helping people find health, happiness and community while living gently on the Earth. From nurturing early dialogues on the integration of modern medicine and natural healing; to designing programs that connect science, spirituality, and creativity; to laying the groundwork for new traditions and lifestyles, Omega attracts people from all walks of life who seek inspiration, restoration, and new ideas.
Located on 250 acres in the beautiful Hudson Valley, Omega welcomes more than 23,000 people to its workshops, conferences, and retreats in Rhinebeck, New York. We also offer online learning opportunities and hold programs at exceptional locations around the world.
Core Staff benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, 403B plan, holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days. In addition, core staff enjoy use of campus property (lake/beach, sauna, tennis & basketball courts, the hiking trails and the sanctuary), can attend all optional classes that are offered to program participants as well as select over 1,500 specially designed classes that are offered only to the staff community. Core staff receive a complimentary catalog workshop as well as discounts on other catalog workshops, discounts in the Café, Omega Store, and Wellness Center. When campus is open, we are happy to extend complimentary lunch in the dining hall to staff when they are at work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Communications Manager will:
- Create and/or leverage the communications required to support the frontline fundraisers in all manner of donor communications, including proposals, solicitations, stewardships, and general donor outreach.
- Participate in the creation of a yearly communications calendar to:
- establish and meet proposal and reporting deadlines
- assist regularly occurring solicitation efforts such as the direct mail and email solicitation campaigns as well as the membership acquisition effort (to be implemented in 2017)
- identify and leverage opportunities for donor communications
- Work effectively with contract writers, including assisting in the selection and hiring of outside writers, recommending projects best suited for outsourcing, approving, editing, and evaluating their work.
- Develop a network among Omega colleagues to identify story ideas and to leverage Omega activity as interesting and engaging donor communications.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- This position functions in Omega’s administrative offices on the Omega campus.
- Physical demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and packing of materials are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand, as necessary. Office workers aren't expected to perform heavy lifting regularly, but they may be expected to lift a box of paper, which weighs approximately 20 pounds.
- This is a full-time position.
- The days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. These times may fluctuate when special needs arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- 5-7 years writing and/or communications experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably communications or related field
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated skill as a writer, editor, content creator in a variety of formats.
- Experienced in creating and coordinating a wide array of communications content for fundraising purposes.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with an acute eye for detail.
- Ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize work as needed.
- Ability to work both independently and as a collaborative team member and leader.
- Solutions-oriented; ability to solve problems and overcome obstacles.
- Drive and motivation for achievement with the ability to learn and apply new concepts and tools quickly.
- Awareness of trends and development in fields of interest to Omega.
- Able to make connections and identify opportunities for connections and story-telling ideas.
- Understanding of the content of Omega’s programs and key initiatives.
- In alignment with Omega’s mission, goals, and core values.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in communications or related field
After carefully reviewing the requirements above, qualified individuals are invited to apply by sending a resume and well-crafted cover letter that serves as an introduction that outlines your qualifications for this role, and includes answers to the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this role?
- What can you offer Omega?
- What do you imagine this role will offer you professionally and personally?
- What are your salary requirements? (Feel free to state a range.)
- How did you find out about this position?
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type Development Communications Manager followed by your name (Last, First), as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
Omega Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.