Development DirectorCompany: Family Services Inc.
Date Posted: December 5, 2016
Essential Responsibilities: The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Family Services’ fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with The Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors in all development and fund raising endeavors. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop comprehensive understanding of agency’s programs and services
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow major gifts program including identification, cultivation, solicitation, recognition of donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fund raising special events.
- Direct employee fundraising drives.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Play a major role in the agency’s marketing efforts
- Serve as a Member of the agency’s Leadership Team
- Work closely with Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Family Services with the community.
- Serve as staff to Board Development Committee and Event Committee meetings.
- With CEO and Development Chair, responsible for the development and oversight of the Development Budget, including individual revenue streams
- Cultivate a cadre of development-related volunteers
- Responsible for utilization of fundraising database and tracking systems to optimal levels.
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Ensure compliance with all rules, regulations, industry standards related to fundraising activities
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent administrative skills
- Must embrace the mission of Family Services
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Possess ‘out of the box’ thinking and resourcefulness
- Ability to work effectively when under extreme pressure
- Possess compassion and empathy
- Ability to complete administrative tasks on a timely basis
- Be dependable, transparent on all tasks, receptive to supervision
Special Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Hudson Valley area including major non-profits, foundations, organizations.
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 5-plus years of experience in development, preferred
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to take direction from either supervisor and/or co-workers based on the situation
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Knowledge of donor database systems a plus
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Hours: Full-time (35 hours/week)
Benefits: Family Services offers competitive benefits packages including:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Group term life and long-term disability insurance
- Supplemental life insurance & accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- Paid vacation, holiday, sick, and personal time
- Supplemental insurance through AFLAC
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
Family Services Inc. is an equal opportunity employer
For more information please contact:
Director of HR/Risk Management
845-452-1110 ext 3511
29 North Hamilton Street
Poughkeepsie NY 12601