Development Annual Fund and Membership ManagerCompany: Omega Institute
Date Posted: November 3, 2016
Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc.
Development Annual Fund and Membership Manager
Reports to: Development Director
For over thirty years, Omega Institute, a nonprofit organization, has been dedicated to awakening the best in the human spirit through diverse and innovative educational experiences. This mission guides Omega in helping people find health, happiness and community while living gently on the Earth. From nurturing early dialogues on the integration of modern medicine and natural healing; to designing programs that connect science, spirituality, and creativity; to laying the groundwork for new traditions and lifestyles, Omega attracts people from all walks of life who seek inspiration, restoration, and new ideas.
Located on 250 acres in the beautiful Hudson Valley, Omega welcomes more than 23,000 people to its workshops, conferences, and retreats in Rhinebeck, New York. We also offer online learning opportunities and hold programs at exceptional locations around the world.
Core Staff benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, 403B plan, holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days. In addition, core staff enjoy use of campus property (lake/beach, sauna, tennis & basketball courts, the hiking trails and the sanctuary), can attend all optional classes that are offered to program participants as well as select over 1,500 specially designed classes that are offered only to the staff community. Core staff receive a complimentary catalog workshop as well as discounts on other catalog workshops, discounts in the Café, Omega Store, and Wellness Center. When campus is open, we are happy to extend complimentary lunch in the dining hall to staff when they are at work.
The Annual Fund and Membership Manager will help lead Omega’s efforts to grow its existing philanthropic annual fund and its new revenue-generating membership program. This position will have significant responsibility for supporting and growing the two complementary initiatives that together comprise the base of a donor engagement pyramid. The Manager will understand, identify, and leverage the similarities and the differences between Annual Fund Donors and Members.
The Annual Fund and Membership Manager:
- Is a member of the Development Department who supports Omega's rapidly growing fundraising program by developing and implementing strategies for annual revenue-generating programs that include the Annual Fund and Membership multichannel campaigns (direct mail, social media, email, registration call center, etc.), Omega Circle and Stewardship Council donor societies, as well as a tiered membership initiative.
- As a member of the Development Department, the Manager works in close collaboration with the Membership Director and the Marketing Department to initiate a wide variety of projects and participates in fundraising activities that may include direct prospect cultivation and solicitation as appropriate.
- Works with both the Development and Membership Directors, among others, to help Omega create and administer an enterprising and appealing membership program. An important focus of this Manager is to acquire new Members, track their relationship with Omega, help tailor ways to engage them and continue to shepherd them up the philanthropic ladder. In conjunction with Development and Marketing, the Manager will help establish the experiences, content and connections to expand, attract, engage and retain a growing audience of supporters.
The Annual Fund and Membership Manager’s primary duties directly relate to the general business operations of Omega and require the exercise of discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.
As a member of the Development Department, the Annual Fund and Membership Manager will develop and implement strategies to increase philanthropic contributions to Omega overall, overseeing two of the programs designed to engage and retain new and current contributors: the Omega Annual Fund and Omega Membership. The Manager will have responsibility to these two program areas and will balance support for each initiative appropriately.
In support for the Annual Fund, the Manager will:
- Help to plan short- and long-term business strategies with defined goals and objectives, including the facilitation of our comprehensive, multi-year fundraising plan and contributing to the master solicitation calendar, as well as make impactful decisions about identifying, developing, implementing and evaluating new opportunities to engage and solicit new and current Omega donors and provide appropriate stewardship and donor recognition.
- Carry out major assignments in conducting the operations of Omega, including using independent thought and discretion to plan and implement annual fundraising appeals, including to plan, implement, and assist in the production of appropriate expressions of impact and gratitude; the Manager will contribute to Omega's acknowledgment process, including recognition of Omega's “first- time” donors and new members.
- Develop mechanisms to identify major and leadership gift prospects from among the corps of members and annual fund donors.
- Participate in preparation of individual giving briefs, agendas, and other materials for meetings with current and prospective funders, internal staff, and the Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Support the solicitation and cultivation work of the Development Director and Chief External Affairs Officer as needed, including creating proposals, assisting with follow-up, scheduling meetings and maintaining prospect records as appropriate.
- Perform other job responsibilities as deemed necessary, including data entry review, expediting solicitations, and assisting in department logistics as appropriate.
The Manager also will support a key role in supporting Omega Membership and will:
- Be part of a team to help Omega launch an engaging philanthropic membership program.
- Acquire and collaborate with the Membership Director to engage members and provide them with a fulfilling experience that will result in their continued support.
- Work as part of the Member Services Team to establish systems for serving members.
- Maintain and analyze data related to member acquisition and retention and how those members engage with Omega and move up the philanthropic ladder.
- Work with the Membership Director to ensure that member benefits are delivered effectively and efficiently to all members and donors.
- Work with Development and Marketing to manage Membership P&L responsibly and to achieve agreed upon revenue/expenditure targets.
- Maintain broad awareness of content providers and potential competitors.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- This position functions in Omega’s administrative offices on the Omega campus.
- Physical demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand, as necessary. Office workers aren't expected to perform heavy lifting regularly, but they may be expected to lift a box of paper or similar item, which weighs approximately 20 pounds.
- This is a full-time position.
- The typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. This schedule may vary when special needs and projects arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- 3+ years experience in development or membership programs with experience acquiring and retaining donors or members, developing influencer strategies, and gleaning actionable insights from data. Demonstrated success managing a multichannel digital environment.
- Expertise in audience analytics and meaningful measurement
- Excellent communication and presentation skills using a wide range of digital tools
- Demonstrated ability to craft and edit compelling solicitation, stewardship, and acknowledgement letters and emails
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to link Omega's mission and program objectives with donors' interests and priorities
- Comfortable working with all levels within the organization and its membership. Strong and compassionate management skills
- Track record of improvement year-over-year in membership key performance metrics
- A humble team collaborator; self motivated with an eye and ear for quality and respect
- Highly responsive, timely, accurate and thorough in follow-through
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work autonomously and meet deadlines
- Awareness of trends and development in the holistic education field
- Alignment with Omega's mission, goals, and core values
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Familiarity with Raiser's Edge fundraising software is a plus
After carefully reviewing the requirements above, qualified individuals are invited to apply by sending a resume and well-crafted cover letter that serves as an introduction and includes answers to the following questions:
- In what way has your professional life reflected Omega's mission statement?
- What are your salary requirements? (Feel free to state a range.)
- How did you find out about this position?
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type Development Annual Fund Manager followed by your name (Last, First), as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
Omega Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.