Major Gifts OfficerCompany: Food & Water Watch
Date Posted: March 10, 2016
Major Gifts Officer
Based in the Greater New York City Area
Limited Telecommuting will be accommodated for this position
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley is an Executive Search Firm with a sole focus in the Nonprofit Sector. We operate on a national scale and specialize in the placement of senior level executives and fundraising professionals.
Our Client, Food & Water Watch (FWW- www.foodandwaterwatch.org), has retained us to recruit a Major Gifts Officer to join their Development team. Food & Water Watch is a leading national consumer advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns challenging the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources.
The Major Gifts Officer is instrumental in identifying and developing external relationships with supporters and activists, cultivating those relationships to the point of solicitation, and then soliciting (or helping solicit) significant gifts over $5,000. The Major Gifts Officer has a portfolio of prospects and donors to cultivate, solicit and steward. The Major Gifts Officer is also part of a team in New York and helps to support the overall fundraising operations in the state, including major donors, foundations, and planned giving.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to and work closely with the Deputy Director of Development in Washington, DC and is part of the major gift team; he/she also has a close relationship to the Northeast Region Director based in Brooklyn. The position also works closely with a variety of FWW staff, including the Executive Director, the COO, program directors, and organizing staff in New York and other northeastern states.
- Manage a portfolio of 75 to 100 prospects. Provide consistent cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship through personal visits, telephone calls, written proposals and other communications for FWW priority projects.
- Work closely with the Director of Development, the Northeast Region team, and the Outreach and Education team to help ensure full integration and coordination of development activities with other FWW programs and related outreach efforts.
- Work directly with the Deputy Director of Development in setting and achieving personal annual goals.
- Coordinate FWW fundraising priority projects and plan cultivation events as assigned, and perform other reasonably related duties as needed.
- Assist in managing foundation fundraising, including letters of intent, arranging meetings, writing proposals and reports, etc.
- Help manage the process for quarterly reports and other funder materials, including communications with the FWW board.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years fundraising experience. Experience within a political or progressive advocacy environment is a plus.
- Demonstrated success personally soliciting gifts of $5,000 and above.
- A track record of portfolio management resulting in meeting/exceeding yearly solicitation goals.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with FWW leadership, staff, prospects and donors.
- Excellent organizational skills and successful experience managing events and other complex activities in support of development initiatives.
- Strong computer proficiency.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to make effective presentations to small and large groups.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting research and assembling data, analyzing information, and preparing effective, accurate and timely reports and other documents to support development activities.
- Familiarity with consumer and environmental issues helpful.
- Ability to travel regionally, with occasional national travel.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to drive the development efforts of a high growth organization carrying out a vital mission.
Food & Water Watch offers an attractive compensation plan and excellent benefits, including 100% employer paid medical and disability insurance..
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume and cover letter (Word Docs please) to:
Owner / Manager; Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley