Development DirectorCompany: The CENTER for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck
Date Posted: December 1, 2015
Position Title: Development Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Responsible for: Grants from government, foundations, and corporations, major gift and
Position Summary: The incumbent is responsible for fund development and for The Center for
Performing Arts at Rhinebeck, which includes: grant writing, direct donor development and
management of donor database and email lists, direct mail appeals. The incumbent works under
direct supervision of the Development Committee, and in cooperation with the
Artistic/Managing Director for the Center.
Hours: Full time; Medical (NY State of Health – Single); paid vacation and sick leave; Exempt
status (not eligible for overtime).
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Assist the Development Committee in the implementation of an integrated and diversified
fund development program.
2) Work collaboratively with the center’s staff.
3) Develop and expand The Center for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck discretionary, non-
government resources, including cultivation of individual donors, major gifts and planned giving,
annual campaigns, capital campaigns and direct mail appeals.
4) Manage and/or conduct research into private family foundations and corporate grants, to
identify sources of funding in support of The Center for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck operations
and strategic direction.
5) Manage all aspects of direct donor fundraising and outreach (leading projects or supporting
others), including developing and maintaining a prospect donor research system, solicitation of
individual donors and stewardship of gifts and grants (including acknowledgement, monitoring,
accounting, and reporting), preparing written proposals, and ensuring appropriate and timely
follow-up to meet fundraising goals.
6) Coordinate special fundraising and friend-raising and The Center for Performing Arts at
Rhinebeck promotional/ informational events, to include silent auctions and corporate
7) Ensure that records and reports of all major donor, corporate, and foundation contacts, as
well as private and other fundraising activities, are in order and in compliance with all local,
state, and federal statutes regarding fundraising, activities, and accountability. 8) Coordinate with Board of Directors and Finance Committee in financial planning.
9) Educate The Center for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck’s Board of Directors in the
solicitation of donors.
10) Other duties as assigned.
• BA or BS in communications/marketing, development, theatre arts administration, public
administration, non-profit or government, with a minimum of two years of fund development
experience in a nonprofit organization; or BA in unrelated field with five years’ experience;
• Experience in direct donor fundraising/solicitation, corporate sponsorships, and event
• Excellent written/oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to lead as
well as function as a team member;
• Excellent skills with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe.
• Proven ability to manage a workload with multiple, often competing priorities;
• Skills in development of various types of printed, electronic and social media;
• In all areas of work, the Development Director will uphold the program philosophy and
promote theatre arts and theatre arts education.
• Master’s degree in related field or certification from a recognized development program;
• Experience with a not-for-profit theatre organization;
• Knowledge of Internet research techniques;
• Knowledge of local and regional funding sources, and local civic and governmental
• Familiarity with donor software (i.e. Telosa Exceed or Raiser’s Edge and Constant Contact);
• Photo/photo editing experience;
• Planned Giving and Capital Campaign experience;
• Familiarity with issues related to theatre arts and theatre arts education.
Resumes and a cover letter expressing interest and availability should be sent to:
Artistic and Managing Director
The CENTER for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck
661 Route 308
Rhinebeck NY 12572