10 Star Award 2010
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Mid Hudson Valley (MHV) Chapter
has been named a 2010 Ten Star Chapter.
Every year, AFP, the largest association of professional fundraisers in the world, honors chapters for achieving goals that align with key objectives in its long-range strategic plan. Chapters receive the Ten Star Award for performing specific activities designed to increase professionalism within fundraising and public awareness of the importance of philanthropy. Of the 213 chapters in AFP, 96 chapters received the Ten Star Award for 2010.
Ten Star Chapters are recognized at the AFP International Conference on Fundraising. Chapters also earn the privilege of displaying the Ten Star logo on their website, newsletters and stationary.
“AFP is committed to the advancement of ethical and effective fundraising and educating the public about the importance of philanthropy and wise giving,” said Paulette V. Maehara, CFRE, CAE. “Our Ten Star Chapters have demonstrated outstanding programming and leadership in achieving these goals in their community. They serve as models for our other chapters, and I am pleased to recognize their leaders and members for their remarkable efforts.”
Criteria for the award are determined by AFP International Headquarters. A list of several goals is published annually, and chapters must accomplish 10 of these goals during the year and submit a nomination form for verification to be honored. Below are some of the ways the MHV Chapter performed specific activities designed to increase professionalism within fundraising and public awareness of the importance of philanthropy. The MHV Chapter:
- Submitted a nomination for the Campbell & Company Awards for Excellence in Fundraising.
- Completed a Chapter Leadership Form.
- Participated in the 2010 Chapter Treasury Gift Campaign for the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy.
- Established a Diversity Committee that serves as the planning and guiding role for the chapter’s diversity efforts to engage diverse individuals, groups, and organizations within the fundraising profession.
- Held an event on October 27, 2010 “AFP Think Tank Ethics in Fundraising” that focused on the importance of Ethics and Ethical Fundraising.
- Sally Cross, President-Elect, represented the MHV Chapter by attending the Chapter Presidents’ Council Meeting at the 2010 Leadership Academy.
- Held a National Philanthropy Day event on November 10, 2010 recognizing five philanthropists, volunteers, and organizations whose contributions benefit individuals and non-profits throughout Orange, Ulster, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland and Sullivan Counties. In addition to the recognition luncheon ceremony, two educational seminars were provided to 180 attendees.
For more information on the Ten Star Award process, please visit www.afpnet.org.
* * *
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) represents 30,000 members in 213 chapters throughout the world, working to advance philanthropy through advocacy, research, education and certification programs. The association fosters development and growth of fundraising professionals and promotes high ethical standards in the fundraising profession. For more information, visit www.afpnet.org.