AFP Top Ten (Week of March 15, 2017): Women and Philanthropy, Deep Donor Gladness, Copywriting Tips & More!
1. Women and Philanthropy (Guidestar Blog): Women approach charitable giving differently from men. Then again, maybe they don't. Examining the state of women's philanthropy leads one to contradictory conclusions. One thing, however, is clear: women have become an influential force in the nonprofit world.
2. Women and Philanthropy (FUNdraising Good Times): “Women rock!” “Women rule!” “If you want something done, ask a woman.” “Women hold up half the sky.” Its women’s history month and time to highlight women’s role as philanthropists and fundraisers.
3. Donors Behaving Badly: How to Navigate a Challenging Donor Relationship (Charity Village): At the heart of the difficulty with donors lies a power differential created simply by the nature of the relationship itself. Here’s some ideas on how to handle troublesome relationships.
4. How Will the Rise of Crowdfunding Reshape How We Give to Charity? (Fast Company): Giving is easier than ever, but what does it mean when our giving is directed toward the most viral story?
5. Ten Random, But Useful Online Communications Tips for Nonprofits (Nonprofit Tech for Good): They may be random but they really are useful too, especially 4, 9 and 10!
6. Take the Fear out of Financial Statements (BoardSource): Stephanie Cory talks about how board members can examine, analyze and understand(!) financial statements, including what they should be looking for in the first place!
7. Five Tips for Raising More Money in a Difficult News Environment (Michael Rosen Says…): If Trump Administration policies directly affect your organization’s mission, fundraising can be relatively easy. However, what can you do if your organization’s mission has little or nothing to do with the debates capturing media attention?
8. How You Can Cause Deep Gladness in Your Donor (NonProfit PRO): Gladness? Really? Yeah, it’s powerful, even if you don’t like the name, or prefer joy or fulfillment. Your donors want deep gladness.
9. Is Your Board Ready for a Culture of Philanthropy? (Create Possibility): Cultures of philanthropy aren’t created overnight. Here are a few questions to help see where you are.
10. 25 Copywriting Tips for Fundraisers (re: charity): Whether you’ve been crafting appeals for two years or two decades, you should find a number of new methods here for improving your writing.