Non-Profit Accounting ProfessionalCompany: Mill Street Loft & Spark Media Project
Date Posted: April 6, 2017
Non-Profit Accounting Professional
Part-Time / Contract
Mill Street Loft + Spark Media Project
Poughkeepsie, New York
Mill Street Loft and Spark Media Project are two long-established non-profit arts organizations based in Poughkeepsie. They have similar missions of using the arts and media as tools to develop workforce skills, life skills, and artistic advancement in the participants—primarily low-income youth in the city. The two agencies are merging at the end of this fiscal year. The combined agencies are poised to evolve and extend the unique role they play in Poughkeepsie and across the region as they seek to become a driving force in the cultural, educational, and artistic community.
Position and Responsibilities
Organization is seeking an accounting professional to work closely with the Executive Director, Development Director and Director of Operations. Reporting to the ED, and working directly with several key Board committees including Finance and Audit, the accounting professional will plan, direct, and carry out the day-to-day financial operations of the combined organization and oversee limited HR duties:
- Oversee bookkeeping and billing processes;
- Build a new Chart of Accounts;
- Prepare and present financial reports;
- Working with external auditor, coordinate the annual audit process;
- Working with ED, prepare and monitor annual budget, financial plans and reports;
- Working with ED and Director of Development, prepare budgets and reports for institutional proposals, grants and awards;
- Analyze programmatic budgets to measure sustainability over time;
- Keep senior leadership team apprised of organization’s financial status;
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting;
- Schedule and prepare materials for full Board and Finance Committee meetings;
- Oversee financial/accounting policies and practices, including internal controls and bank reconciliations;
- Communicate and present critical financial matters to ED and Board of Directors;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federally mandated reports and requirements.
Employee Benefits and Personnel Responsibilities
- Advance Mill Street Loft + Spark Media Project’s human resources with administration of policies and practices for compensation and benefits;
- Manage, prepare and submit payroll, payroll reporting, and tax forms;
- Update and manage a training program to inform and support employees regarding policies, procedures, and practices;
- Ensure compliance with all state- and federally-mandated programs and requirements.
The successful candidate will be a proactive team player who is able to direct and drive Mill Street Loft + Spark Media Project financial functions while working collaboratively with the organization’s senior staff and key committee chairpersons to maintain a culture of financial accountability and transparency. Candidate must have:
- CPA and/or equivalent experience with a non-profit organization of comparable scope and scale;
- Solid knowledge of and experience in not-for-profit financial policy, management, and practice;
- At least 5 years of professional experience overall in the not-for-profit sector; experience in the arts and/or education is a plus;
- Ability to communicate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds;
- Proficiency in accounting and reporting software including Quickbooks online, as well as in Microsoft Office;
- Integrity, and a dedication to the mission of Mill Street Loft + Spark Media Project.
Schedule and salary to be negotiated.
Please email cover letter, resumé and references to Employment@MillStreetLoft.org. No phone inquiries will be accepted.