Senior Director, AdvancementCompany: Cary Institute
Date Posted: February 1, 2017
As a high priority in the implementation of our new 2017-2021 Strategic Plan, the Cary Institute is establishing the position of Senior Director, Advancement. The Senior Director will be responsible for the integration of Communications and Development, ensuring that the Cary Institute leverages its exceptional media presence to increase the impact of, and generate private donor support for our science. With a solid funding base from government grants and endowment, the Senior Director will put special emphasis on increasing the Institute’s private donor base.
The Senior Director works closely with the President and Board of Trustees in their efforts to raise the funding necessary to support the Institute’s work, increase its outreach and impact, and raise visibility and awareness.
The Senior Director will report to the President of the Cary Institute and will be expected to work closely with the core scientific and administrative staff. The position will oversee a team of 10 full-time and part-time staff with two direct line-management reports. The position will be based at our headquarters in Millbrook, New York, and will require travel within the United States.
The Senior Director, Advancement, will be a self-starting, dynamic individual with a strong commitment to the environment, and to the role that science plays in improving policy and management decisions. As part of a vibrant and fast-paced organization, the Senior Director will require a high level of entrepreneurial skills. S/he will be a team leader/team player with a management style that contributes to the smooth operations of the Institute. S/he will have at least 10 years of relevant experience in development and/or communications, be a seasoned relationship-builder, and will:
- Be able to integrate and leverage communications and development
- Be comfortable with, and experienced in, frontline fundraising for a science-based institution
- Have experience in communicating science to the lay public
- Be skilled and knowledgeable in using social and modern media to leverage funding (e.g. crowdsourcing, social media campaigns, strategy development for communications to meet development goals)
- Have understanding of, and experience in, representation to State and/or Federal government officials.
The Senior Director will have:
- A comprehensive knowledge of all key fundraising and communications functions and strategies
- Demonstrated success in planning and executing major fundraising events and campaigns
- Demonstrated success with effective organization communication and media relations that garner print, broadcast, and online coverage
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- A dedicated work ethic, the ability to lead and motivate staff with a team approach, and the ability to maintain a culture of collaboration
- The highest level of personal and professional integrity
- Innovative and analytic problem-solving abilities
- Superior communications skills, both oral and in writing
Nominations and applications can be sent in strictest confidence to:
G. Angela Henry, Search Consultant